We run down all you need to know to care for your hoya krimson princess.
Hoya Krimson Princess Summary
|Light needs:||Bright but indirect sunlight is ideal.|
|Watering needs:||Check soil once a week and only water it if totally dry.|
|Fertilizer:||A balanced fertilizer once a month in spring and summer.|
|Soil:||A mix of soil, perlite and orchid bark.|
|Where to buy:||Try one of these Rare Plant Shops.|
|Common issues:||Overwatering is a very common as hoyas are epiphytic.|
The hoya krimson princess is a beautiful, small variegated hoya It has light green variegations down the center of it’s leaves.
Bright but indirect sunlight is ideal. If they get direct sun it can burn the variegated areas of the leaves, but these leaves need as much indirect sun as possible as they cannot convert energy as well as non-variegated plants.
How Often to Water A Hoya Krimson Princess
Check the soil once a week and only water it if totally dry. The biggest killer of hoyas is root rot due to sitting in waterlogged soil.
Feed it a balanced fertilizer once a month in spring and summer.
Hoya Krimson Princess Soil
This hoya must be in a really well draining soil, as in the wild it does not grow in soil, but in bark on trees. So plant it in a mix of soil, perlite and orchid bark (in equal parts).
When To Repot
The hoya krimson princess is ok to be a little bit pot bound. They like it to an extent. Repot them every couple of years in Spring.
60% is ideal, they will be ok with less though and be fine in most homes.
15-28°C (59-82°F) is ideal. They will be fine in almost all home temperatures.
Hoya Krimson Princess Vs Queen
The krimson princess has green edges to it’s leave and a white variegated center, and the krimson queen has mainly green leaves, but a white border to them.
How To Propagate Hoya Krimson Princess
You can propagate a krimson princess fairly easily in soil, follow these steps:
- Take a stem cuttings with 3 or 4 nodes (sets of leaves).
- Strip the leaves from the bottom node or two, which we will stick into the soil. They shold not have any leaves on. You should only have leaves on the nodes that will be above the soil.
- Stick the cuttings into a pot of soil (water it first) so that the bare nodes are under the soil and the leaves are above, but not touching the soil.
- Put them in a warm and bright place in your home with plenty of indrect sunlight but no direct.
- Keep the soil moist but not sodden.
- They should start to root over the next month or two.
- Once they are rooted well they will start to grow new leaves. This can take 2 to 3 months.
Hoya Krimson Princess Flower Smell
The krimson princess’s flowers smell like floral chocolate. Yes, really!
Where To Buy A Hoya Krimson Princess
Rubra Krimson Princess
FAQs and Common Problems
Overwatering is a very common issue as hoyas are epiphytic – they do not like heavy soil it must be really well draining and they must be allowed to dry out before watering again.