Aphids are a nasty pest but they can be really easy to treat…
Welcome to our guide to how to get rid of aphids. Don’t worry they are relatively easy to treat…
Where Do Aphids Come From?
Aphids can fly, but not very well, so they mainly come from other plants you bring into your home, or occasionally they can come in through the window.
What Damage Do Aphids Do To Plants?
Aphids drain sap from leaves which slows the plant’s growth and can even kill it eventually.
How To Get Rid Of Aphids
It is no too difficult to treat your plants, but you will need to do it regularly until the infestation has cleared up.
Follow these steps to get rid of aphids:
- Get a spray bottle and fill it with water, plus a couple of drops of washing up liquid soap, and a few teaspoons of sunflower oil.
- Shake it well.
- Spray your affected plants. Be sure to spray all leaves and under them too, it it is important not to miss underneath.
- Spray the soil too as they can live in soil too.
- Gently scrape off any aphids you can see, using a cotton swab.
- Repeat the above 3 times a week, spraying both sides of the leaves and soil. Keep this up until the aphids have cleaned up.
Does Vinegar Kill Aphids?
Vinegar can kill aphids too. The reason that some people don’t use it indoors is the smell, but you can use it – mix a mixture of water and vinegar it should be 25% vinegar and 75% water, and spray the infected areas with it.
How To Treat Aphids Naturally
You can treat aphids using vinegar (1 part vinegar to 3 parts water, as mentioned above) and you can also add in some neem oil or vegetable oil too. Spray the plants on all sides of the stems and leaves as well as the soil for 3 times a week until the problem clears up.
How To Get Rid Of Aphids Permanently
They key to getting rid of aphids permanently is to stop them getting established. So, once you’ve cleared up the aphids, you will needs to check your plants regularly, the best time to do this is at watering, and if in any doubt whatsoever, spray them.
Hope you enjoyed our article on how to get rid of aphids. You might also like our other articles on plants pests, including How I Treat My Plants For Fungus Gnats -Step By Step Guide.
Please also follow us on Instagram for occasional plant giveaways.