Welcome to our step by step guide on how to plant pineapple. You can plant a pineapple indoors relatively easily taking a cutting of the crown of a pineapple fruit you bought in a store, rooting it in water and then planting up in soil to grow before flowering and finally fruiting the plant.
How To Plant Pineapple
To plant a pineapple indoors at home and get it to grow a new plant that produces fruit, follow these steps:
- Get a ripe pineapple and a jar of water ready.
- Remove the crown from the fruit. A new plant will grow from the top part known as the crown, this is the section at the top of the plant that connects the stem of leaves to the main fruit. You can take it off from the fruit by grabbing the whole leafy section and pulling it slowly with your hands until it comes away from the pineapple.
- It will come away with a small chunk of the top of the fruit, this is the crown. You want to remove the leaves around the crown, maybe a third of an inch or a centimeter, about 5 or 6 layers of leaves. The roots will grow from here and you do not want leaves in the water as they might rot.
- Leave the crown to dry and callous over for 3 days, this will decrease the chances of rot as well.
- Root the crown in water: put the crown in a glass jar and fill it with water up to the bottom of the leaves, but not touching the leaves, so that the naked crown is fully submerged, and no leaves are in the water.
- Put the cutting in a warm and bright place like a window sill with plenty of indirect sunlight and wait 3 or 4 weeks for it to root. Top up the water when needed.
- Once it is rooted you can pot it up in a well draining potting mix like a cactus and succulent compost.
- Keep it watered and in plenty of indirect sunlight and the plant will grow well.
- In a year or two they can flower and fruit, they may need some direct sunlight to encourage flowering.
Frequently Asked Questions on Growing Pineapple Indoors
In general this is a really easy process as long as you follow the steps, here’s a few FAQs….
How Long Does It Take To Grow A Pineapple From The Crown?
From taking the cutting all the way through to fruiting a pineapple it can take two years to grow a pineapple at home from a crown cutting.
How Many Pineapples Will One Plant Produce?
Pineapple plants technically only produce one pineapple each, but when they get to that stage they will pup around the edge and more smaller plants will start to grow, these in turn will produce pineapple fruit too.
Please follow us on Instagram for updates and plant giveaways.