Welcome to our guide to grow an avocado from seed. We have added a few extra steps from the normal suspend-it-over-a-jar-with-toothpick method to ensure it germinates well in water first.
How To Grow An Avocado Seed
To germinate and grow an avocado from seed, follow these steps:
- Get all the things you need: an avocado, cloth, a jar of water, knife, kitchen roll, plastic bag, four toothpicks
- Get your avocado and take out the pit
- Clean it with a wet cloth
- Put it in a jar of water for two day to soften the surface
- Take it out of the water and use a knife to scrape off the thin dark brown layer on the out side of the pit, it should be soft now from soaking in water
- Wrap the pit in some wet kitchen paper then put it in a plastic bag
- Put the bag on a warm and bright window sill for 2 or 3 weeks
- After 2 or 3 weeks gently unwrap it and it should have split open and grown some roots
- Get the toothpicks and stick then into the sides of the avocado seed so they are sticking out horizontally out the sides and the roots are pointing down. Be careful not to damage any roots
- Then put the whole thing on a jar and fill it with water so the bottom of the seed is touching the water and the root is well under the water.
- Put it in a warm bright place, but out of direct sunlight and keep it topped up with water
- The plant should grow leaves and should grow well for months in the jar. You can pot it up to soil later if you like, they make great plants!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does It Take For An Avocado Seed To Sprout?
It can take two to three weeks for an avocado seed to germinate and grow roots, then a stem will grow soon after, normally within five weeks from starting.
Which Side Of The Avocado Seed Goes In The Water?
The pointed half of the seed should be pointed upwards. The best thing to do is germinate the seed first in wet tissue and then once it has root you can point the roots downwards.
Can I Grow An Avocado Tree From Store Bought Avocados?
Yes you can germinate and grow an avocado plant from the seed of an avocado bought in a shop.
Will An Avocado Tree Grown From A Seed Produce Fruit?
You cannot guarantee that the new plant will ever fruit, it is best to treat them as just nice houseplant. It is possible to germinate some, but it can take over 5 years for the plant to mature, and even then it might not work, so treat teem as an ornamental houseplant.
Please follow us on Instagram for regular picture updates and occasional plant giveaways.